Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recent Diapers

OK, So I have been busy making diapers. Last week I spent the whole week cutting out diaper layers and serging the internal soakers (2 layers cotton terry fabric). This really is the most boring and time consuming part. I got about 20 diapers ready to sew last week. So this week I went to sew on my machine and I think it finally died- the sewing machine. It is pretty old where the motor is on the outside and it uses a belt from the motor to the turn wheel that makes the needle go up and down. I was given this machine as a teen from one of my mom's good friends. This machine has been a good friend to me but nothing lasts forever. I'm not sure it'll be worth fixing. So, now in the mean time, I go to my mom's to sew. I have to be pretty organized before going. It's not like I can sew during nap time any more or even go and sew for a few spare minutes like before. But THANK goodness mom lives around the corner! I don't know how I would get my diapers done with out her machine! Now, I'll start looking into a new machine. I know I would love one that is WAY out of our price range (well, to be honest, any machine right now is out of price range-- didn't expect this extra expense). I think I'll get one that is cheap and basic right now (with in the next 6 months) and then save for my dream machine. I can pass down the basic one to my girls. Anyhow, here is what is done as of Monday.
Here they are piled up. They are made with a combo of velour and stretch cotton terry. I was having issues with lighting-- with out the flash was a bit to dark and with the flash was too bright. Sorry!



So, with these diapers I now have 19 newborn diapers. I am planning on having 36+ newborn. I have many more cut out ready to be sewn but don't know exact numbers.

Oh, I decided that I like to double up the lastin elastic. It seems to be stretchier that way. So some of them are doubled up and some are not-- not a huge deal I wouldn't think. Lastin is clear elastic you often see on swimsuits and lasts forever-- if the material is heavy you sometimes have to double it up.

No comments: